B.1 Developers at MySQL AB
These are the developers that are or have been employed by MySQL AB to
work on the `MySQL' database software, roughly in the order they
started to work with us. Following each developer is a small list of the
tasks that the developer is responsible for, or the accomplishments they
have made. All developers are involved in support.
Michael (Monty) Widenius
* Lead developer and main author of the MySQL server (`mysqld').
* New functions for the string library.
* Most of the `mysys' library.
* The `ISAM' and `MyISAM' libraries (B-tree index file handlers
with index compression and different record formats).
* The `HEAP' library. A memory table system with our superior
full dynamic hashing. In use since 1981 and published around
* The `replace' program (take a look at it, it's *COOL*!).
* Connector/ODBC (MyODBC), the ODBC driver for Windows.
* Fixing bugs in MIT-pthreads to get it to work for MySQL
Server. And also Unireg, a curses-based application tool with
* Porting of `mSQL' tools like `msqlperl', `DBD'/`DBI', and
* Most of `crash-me' and the foundation for the MySQL
* Initial main writer of the *Reference Manual*, including
enhancements to `texi2html'.
* Automatic Web site updating from the manual.
* Initial Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool support.
* Parts of all the text files. (Nowadays only the `README' is
left. The rest ended up in the manual.)
* Lots of testing of new features.
* Our in-house Free Software legal expert.
* Mailing list maintainer (who never has the time to do it
* Our original portability code (now more than 10 years old).
Nowadays only some parts of `mysys' are left.
* Someone for Monty to call in the middle of the night when he
just got that new feature to work.
* Chief "Open Sourcerer" (MySQL community relations).
* A lot of extensions to the command-line clients.
* `PROCEDURE ANALYSE()'
* Compression (with `zlib') in the client/server protocol.
* Perfect hashing for the lexical analyzer phase.
* Multi-row `INSERT'
* `mysqldump' -e option
* `LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE'
* `SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS' `SELECT' option
* `--max-user-connections=...' option
* `net_read' and `net_write_timeout'
* `GRANT'/`REVOKE' and `SHOW GRANTS FOR'
* New client/server protocol for 4.0
* `UNION' in 4.0
* Multiple-table `DELETE'/`UPDATE'
* Derived tables in 4.1
* User resources management
* Initial developer of the `MySQL++' C++ API and the `MySQLGUI'
Tonu Samuel (past developer)
* VIO interface (the foundation for the encrypted client/server
* MySQL Filesystem (a way to use MySQL databases as files and
* The `CASE' expression.
* The `MD5()' and `COALESCE()' functions.
* `RAID' support for `MyISAM' tables.
* Initial implementation of replication (up to version 4.0).
* `SHOW CREATE TABLE'.
* MySQL test suite.
* Webmaster (until 2002).
* Coordinator of development.
* Win32 development and release builds.
* Windows NT server code.
Timothy Smith (past developer)
* Dynamic character sets support.
* configure, RPMs and other parts of the build system.
* Initial developer of `libmysqld', the embedded server.
* Full-text search.
* Added keys to the `MERGE' library.
* Proofreading and editing this fine manual.
* `ALTER TABLE ... ORDER BY ...'.
* `UPDATE ... ORDER BY ...'.
* `DELETE ... ORDER BY ...'.
* Designing/programming of our Web interface.
* Author of our newsletter management system.
Jorge del Conde
* `MySQLCC' (`MySQL Control Center')
* Win32 development
* Initial implementation of the Web site portals.
* MyODBC 3.51
* New client/server protocol for 4.1 (for prepared statements).
* Maintainer of the MySQL Reference Manual.
* Preparing the O'Reilly printed edition of the manual.
Alexander (Bar) Barkov, Alexey (Holyfoot) Botchkov, and Ramil Kalimullin
* Spatial data (GIS) and R-Trees implementation for 4.1
* Unicode and character sets for 4.1; documentation for same
Oleksandr (Sanja) Byelkin
* Query cache in 4.0
* Implementation of subqueries (4.1).
Aleksey (Walrus) Kishkin and Alexey (Ranger) Stroganov
* Benchmarks design and analysis.
* Maintenance of the MySQL test suite.
* Open Source advocate, MySQL community relations.
* The MySQL Certification program.
* Production (build and release) engineering.
* `SHA1()', `AES_ENCRYPT()' and `AES_DECRYPT()' functions.
* Debugging, cleaning up various features.
Alexander (Salle) Keremidarski
* Lead developer for stored procedures (5.0) and triggers.
* Lead Web developer.
* Connector/J driver (Java).
* SQL standards compliance.
* Documentation of existing MySQL code/algorithms.
* Character set documentation.
* Replication, from `MySQL' version 4.0.
* Fixed handling of exponents for `DECIMAL'.
* Author of `mysql_tableinfo'.
Antony T. Curtis
* Porting of the MySQL Database software to OS/2.
* Much of the initial work on NDB Cluster until 2000. Roughly
half the code base at that time. Transaction protocol, node
recovery, system restart and restart code and parts of the
* Lead Architect, developer, debugger of NDB Cluster 1994-2004
* Lots of optimizations
* On-line Backup
* The automatic test environment of MySQL Cluster
* Portability Library for NDB Cluster
* Lots of other things
* Ordered index implementation of MySQL Cluster
* BLOB support in MySQL Cluster
* Charset support in MySQL Cluster
* Unique index implementation of MySQL Cluster
* Integration of NDB Cluster into MySQL
* The test framework for MySQL Cluster
* Integration of NDB Cluster into MySQL
* Lots of work on configuration changes for simple installation
and use of MySQL Cluster
automatically generated byinfo2html