D.1 Changes in release 5.0.x (Development)
The following changelog shows what has been done in the 5.0 tree:
* Basic support for read-only server side cursors.
* Basic support for (updatable) views. See, for example,
`CREATE VIEW' CREATE VIEW.
* Basic support for stored procedures (SQL:2003 style).
* Initial support for rudimentary triggers.
* Added `SELECT INTO LIST_OF_VARS', which can be of mixed (that is,
global and local) types. `SELECT INTO' Statement SELECT
* Removed the update log. It is fully replaced by the binary log.
If the MySQL server is started with `--log-update', it will be
translated to `--log-bin' (or ignored if the server is explicitly
started with `--log-bin'), and a warning message will be written to
the error log. Setting `SQL_LOG_UPDATE' will silently set
`SQL_LOG_BIN' instead (or do nothing if the server is explicitly
started with `--log-bin').
* User variable names are now case insensitive: If you do `SET
@a=10;' then `SELECT @A;' will now return `10'. Case sensitivity
of a variable's value depends on the collation of the value.
* Strict mode, which in essence means that you will get an error
instead of a warning when inserting an incorrect value into a
column. Server SQL mode.
* `VARCHAR' fields remembers end space. A `VARCHAR()' field can
contain up to 65535 bytes.
* `MEMORY' (`HEAP') tables can have `VARCHAR()' fields.
* When using a constant string or a function that generate a string
result in `CREATE ... SELECT', MySQL creates the result field based
on the max_length of the string/expression:
*max_length* *Column type*
= 0 `CHAR(0)'
< 512 `VARCHAR(max_length)'
>= 512 `TEXT'
For a full list of changes, please refer to the changelog sections for
each individual 5.0.x release.
* News-5.0.3 Changes in release 5.0.3 (not released yet)
* News-5.0.2 Changes in release 5.0.2 (01 Dec 2004)
* News-5.0.1 Changes in release 5.0.1 (27 Jul 2004)
* News-5.0.0 Changes in release 5.0.0 (22 Dec 2003: Alpha)
automatically generated byinfo2html