8 Functions for Transforming Text
"Functions" allow you to do text processing in the makefile to compute
the files to operate on or the commands to use. You use a function in a
"function call", where you give the name of the function and some text
(the "arguments") for the function to operate on. The result of the
function's processing is substituted into the makefile at the point of
the call, just as a variable might be substituted.
* Syntax of Functions How to write a function call.
* Text Functions General-purpose text manipulation functions.
* File Name Functions Functions for manipulating file names.
* Conditional Functions Functions that implement conditions.
* Foreach Function Repeat some text with controlled variation.
* Call Function Expand a user-defined function.
* Value Function Return the un-expanded value of a variable.
* Eval Function Evaluate the arguments as makefile syntax.
* Origin Function Find where a variable got its value.
* Flavor Function Find out the flavor of a variable.
* Shell Function Substitute the output of a shell command.
* Make Control Functions Functions that control how make runs.
automatically generated byinfo2html